Monday, January 14, 2013

There's an App for That

Bonjour, mes amis! Or is it mes "amies?" Eh well, I don't have French until next semester anyway. I'm just trying to familiarize myself with what I learned previously. I even got an app to help me. It shows me games where I have to either guess the translation, which translation is off, or some other combination that has to do with French versus English. Because yes, there's an app for that.

My friend just recently got her own blog. To me, a blog is like a bunch of short stories about your own life, or whatever topic you choose to display. For me, it's fun, because it gets my creative juices flowing and really lets go of the thoughts that can build up in my head. And since I took a creative writing course this year, I can make my stories even more interesting! Let's hope I get some good stories soon.

Speaking of courses I have taken this year, this week is the final week of the semester. And in my school, that means that the next semester is pretty much the first day of school all over again. Our schedule is set up so that most, if not all, of our classes are only a semester long. The only class I have signed up for that is the whole year long is wind ensemble. Next year, however, the schedule will completely change, further confusing the students as well as the faculty.

In other news, one of my dear friends is sick. So in hopes of restoring health, or at least just giving her something else to think about, I have divined this short excerpt. It seems a bit rushed to me, but it is meant to only be a quick story:

In a land far off, somewhere off the coast of Greenland, so far off that anyone who ventured there never knew quite where they were, lived a girl, about the age of you and me, assuming that you and I are of the same age. For the purposes of this story, let’s say we are and get on with it.
Now, where was I?
Ah yes, the girl.
This girl was like most other girls: wore her dark hair long, which she let flow about her shoulders as she moved. Her physique showed one of athleticism and a strong build. Her mind was attentive and her features were just as sharp. It was in this way that she was very different from most people you would meet.
She lived on the island of Thialdor. It was an island that she had named herself, since most times it was only her family who inhabited it, with the exception of a few confused travelers. With that being the case, the girl thought it silly that she was only allowed on the one half on which they lived. Every week, the girl would ask her parents if she could go to the other end of the island.
Every time, her father would answer, “No, little one. Your legs wouldn’t carry you that far. You’d be stuck in the middle with no strength to get back.”
Her mother would add, “Besides, who else would help me with the house chores?” The girl was not satisfied with these answers. She was desperate to know what lay beyond the boundaries she had come to know so well. Certainly it could not be that different from what lay before her now.
She would find herself staying up nights on end, imagining what a magical place it must be Beyond.

[End]

That's just part 1. I will add on as I see fit. Right now, I just need to quit procrastinating and get on with my homework. Oh, biology, you'll be the death of me. Get it?


No comments:

Post a Comment