Things have been going very well for me as of late. With the coming of spring, the tennis season has officially started. Before that were four glorious performances in the all-school musical The Producers. I didn't get to see much from the pit ensemble, as my back was turned and it was more professional not to keep turning around and gawking at the actors.
This year tennis has started out beautifully. I feel like I'm really coming into my own as a junior. This year, walking into the first practice was more like returning to something that was very comfortable. It helps a great deal that I am one of the oldest kids there; a veteran on the courts. The Varsity team voted on our captains this year, and I am one of them! I am a co-captain along with my friend Maris. I always had a vision that, if were to be captain, it would be with her. We've been friends ever since we were in kindergarten, and it just seemed right. Plus she's such a people person that it would have been silly if she didn't get it. My only worry was whether or not I would also be captain this year. It's something I have always wanted, but I never know how I come across to people, since I'm me and my views are somewhat biased. So yay! We just had our first match today with great success. Tomorrow we face our "rivals" in Marlboro (I personally have no problem with them). After that, my dad has to pick me up from the courts so I can be on time for a rehearsal with the Metropolitan Wind Symphony, where me and two other students at my school have been chosen to be musical guests. The ensemble does this every year, where they invite students from high school to come join them. My band director is a member of the group, so he signed us up.
In a couple weeks, I will be getting on a plane to go to Germany! It's all becoming very real for me, especially when I marked the dates on my calendar at the start of this month. My host family emailed me, and they seem extremely nice. One of the girls is named Sarah, which I like because it's easy to pronounce. She has three cats and one dog, so I know that's going to be fun. And homesickness is much easier to deal with when there are animals around. Her mother loves cooking, and promised to make me a German meal. I'm not sure exactly what that means, but I'm willing to try anything, especially things that will broaden my horizons to what goes on in the rest of the world. When you live in one country your entire life, it's like your in your own isolated box; you couldn't possibly know what's really going on around you unless you travel there and see it for yourself. I plan on doing more traveling in my life to places like London, Italy, and France. Mostly tourist destinations, but we'll see as my views and ideas change. Things are going really well right now. Now I just need Simon to feel better and everything will be perfect!
No comments:
Post a Comment