February Vacation is here at last. A whole week to myself, where I get to sleep as long as I like, get some more driving time in, and just relax. I should be enjoying myself, spending time with friends and watching movies I don't have time for on school weeks. It's Monday, making it the official first day of vacation, and you know what?
I am bored.
In fact, I don't think I could be more jaded.
I have no idea how to fix this state I'm in. I have dealt with some case of depression in the past, and I worry that my loneliness is causing it to reemerge. I don't even have a big amount of homework to ease my mind with, though I do have a book I need to read.
Oh, this book is incredible. Well, it was once I came to understand it with the help of my English teacher this year. I really connect with my teacher. She has about the same fancies as I, such as theater, Shakespeare, and David Tennant. On our last day before vacation, she put on an episode of Doctor Who (with Christopher Eccleston playing 'The Doctor') where the doctor meets Charles Dickens. She showed us that particular episode because the book I previously mentioned was written by Dickens. It's called Hard Times. I enjoy reading it. My previous experience of reading A Tale of Two Cities has led me to understand, for the most part, the language that Dickens uses. I can at least catch the vague idea of what he is conversing. I like hearing about the past. There was a history class I had a few weeks ago where we looked at pictures of the town I live in from the 1900s. Apparently, before they name it Hudson, they called it Feltonville, though I'm not sure why. Maybe they were big manufacturers of felt. They named it Hudson after a guy who was born there and went on to become a member of Congress.
In the pictures, I could clearly make out landmarks that stand today. I saw the distinctive rotary, though there was no rotary at the time, just a clearing of dirt where it would be. All the roads were dirt roads; people were either walking around or riding in horse-drawn carriages, going whichever way they pleased. It really was interesting. If it were possible, I would take a great interest in travelling back to the past for a little while and walking through the streets as they were back then. I would like to see how the people got on in their day; what kind of entertainment they enjoyed. It would also be cool to find out what stood on the land that has become my house. I wonder if people were happier with the simpler artifacts than people of today's time. It sure would be fascinating to know.
No comments:
Post a Comment