"The only thing that is permanent is impermanence." -- Buddha. Things change, but not without our changing first. We may feel we don't have control of what we want, but it's not the situation we need to control. It is our own vantage point of what is taking place that must change. Everything else comes after.
Thursday, June 14, 2012
Welcome to Cabaret!
Tonight, our school had its 2nd Cabaret Night of the year. After watching the winter's performance, I decided that it was time I let the world know my talent. Well, OK, not the world exactly, but a few people in my school now know I have a voice. I asked my brother Taylor to accompany me as I sang Favorite Things. As the night wore on, my stress and nervousness only continued to increase. Such talent all around. Everyone that performed was a singer, it seemed, or a performer in some way. Before I knew it, my name was called. I walked up to the platform and was instantly blinded by the spotlight. I didn't think I would last very long if I tried to stand while performing, so I took a stool and sat down. Taylor then began the jazzy tune he had acquired to spice up the song and make people wanna dance. I began singing with a shaky voice, but my confidence slowly grew. I began to look away from the microphone that I was staring intensely at and looked around, although I could see nothing through the blinding light. I liked it that way. It was like it was only me within the confines of the stage, singing to the darkness that accepted my voice and enjoyed it. When I hit the last note of the song, I could not even tell if it was me singing. The G note was held unwavering until it was time to release, where I let it tremor slightly before releasing it. The applause was well rewarded. I had so much fun. I cannot wait to do it again next year. Maybe I will even have enough courage to do something for the talent show, but that probably won't be for a while. My next focus is getting people to recognize me as a drummer, because I really think I could impress people when they allow me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment