"The only thing that is permanent is impermanence." -- Buddha. Things change, but not without our changing first. We may feel we don't have control of what we want, but it's not the situation we need to control. It is our own vantage point of what is taking place that must change. Everything else comes after.
Monday, June 11, 2012
Just a Book and Some Sunlight
It would seem that I am perfectly content just sitting in a comfortable chair in nice weather reading a book. It's not something we think about much, the simplicity of things. Some feel that they could not possibly be happy unless something exciting is happening. Well, the book must be good in order for me to be so contented with it. For instance, right now, I am reading this wonderful book of short stories titled Masterpieces of Fantasy and Enchantment. They have all been compiled by David G. Hartwell. Today, I got up a little earlier than I had originally intended, since it was only Sunday. I usually sleep in pretty late, but on this day I was up at around 8:30 before I officially got up from my bed at 9:00. After I ate, I opened the door to the deck so the cats could enjoy the sunshine (you see, our deck is screened in, so our cats can enjoy the wind of the outdoors while remaining indoor cats). I grabbed myself a Peach Snapple, the best beverage in the world, and grabbed my phone since I was expecting to have other plans later in the day. There, I just sat in our anti-gravity chair and read the book I mentioned previously. Because it is composed of short stories, it is never the same, and therefore it remains interesting to me. And, as you can see, when I start reading books, I can type in these fancy phrases that I only use when I have just been reading. I remember one summer I spent most of my day reading books that I had found on a bookshelf in the house. It was a lot of fun, although I did not have a very good place to sit where I could stay cool other than the floor of my room, which is hardwood and therefore not the best place to sit. I spent hours wrapped in my own world of solitude and unicorns (these books are about fantasy, remember). My only pause was to decide whether or not I should adjourn upstairs for a nap or decide if I was hungry and should stop for lunch or a snack. I tell you, it was a day I shall cherish. Even more so because at the end of it, I got to spend some time with my dear friend Anna. Since she goes to another school, we don't get to see a lot of each other. I only met her last year, but I do think she is definitely one of my favorite friends, maybe even THE favorite friend, not to offend those I am also friends with, but seriously, have you MET her? She radiates kindness and gracefulness, and I happen to know that she has access to reading this blog, but that does not make my words waver. I surely and honestly mean them.
So, Anna and I saw that new movie with Kristen Stewart in it, Snow White and the Huntsman. I think the movie was really good, but Kristen should really have smiled more. They described her, being Snow White, as the image of life itself, yet she always seemed so serious and conflicted. Other than that, I loved it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment