This is an entry I was supposed to record on here yesterday, but obviously, I didn't, so I will write it today instead. Today is one of those boring days where you don't have anything going on, yet you feel like you want to fight it; stand up to the world and shout, "I will defy you, oh sunny day! You shall be avenged and I will do something today!" (I'm not really sure if those words convey the exact message, but they sure sound cool when put together). In fact, I would gladly stand up this very moment and say those words, if there wasn't someone sleeping just one floor above me.
My family really has no clue about my inner-craziness. Whereas my friend is able to belt out the lyrics to a song from AVPM while playing random chords on her piano and nobody would even giver her a second glance. They're just so used to it all that it's normal. Ah, what a life that would be.
I have decided to take part in my school's Cabaret Night this spring: a night where anyone who signs up can pick a song and sing to their heart's content, at least until the song ends, then you have to let the next person up. A great brother of mine, Taylor Benson, shall be accompanying me to "Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music. I just love the Mary Poppins songs, and this seemed like a good first step for people to being to see my many talents. Nobody really knows me as a singer, so it'll be fun to impress them. This version -- according to the sheet music it's the original -- has a bit more of a jazzy feel. I absolutely love it! It's not the traditional version that everyone is used to hearing, so they won't even recognize it unless they look at the program or until I sing the words. It really is great fun to sing about things that really do make me happy. If I weren't going to have fun, I would see no point in any of it.
Speaking of fun things to experience, I will be taking cooking classes over the summer a week or two before my family and I goes off to Hawaii (don't ask me which island, because I have well forgotten). That means I will be coming home with leftovers and knowledge of new recipes. I forget if I will take the Italian food class or the French one, but either will be a great thing to put on my resume and get me a future job. I don't know if I would call anything a career, because then it feels like I can only do that one thing, like I must be devoted to that. If I just say it's a job, then I feel more free to branch off from that and go towards other things if I want to do that. I may end up spending my life as a musician after all, although the idea now makes me uncomfortable. I absolutely love music and get a great joy out of playing it, it's just that there is all this pressure that comes with being a musician for a living. You have to make sure that you get gigs and earn a lot of money, or the whole things sinks and you are left with practically nothing. Both my brothers would like to go into the music industry, and I fully believe that they will go far. My grandfather once said that pianists were "a dime a dozen," and that may be, but none of them are like Taylor. His skill exceeds some that have been playing for years, at least in the improvisation department. And Alex is always improving his skill; trying out new songs and taking lessons from someone that has had his own success and has made many albums.
I wonder what it would be like, after college, when we all meet up again once we've settled, and see just how much we have changed; how independent we have become. With our own cars and everything! It's almost time for me to learn to drive, only a few more months, I believe (or is it 16 1/2 that I can start?). Then, the world will be further within my possession.
No comments:
Post a Comment