Thursday, December 6, 2012

Rainy Days Lead To Sunny Skies




Last year, I was entering a dark time in my life. My mother had died only a year previously and I felt alone, having found nothing to turn to in order to distract my constant stream of thoughts and emotions. In that year, I decided to attend the annual Snowball Dance, so that I could finally give myself a night to have fun and be with friends.

Things didn't turn out so well. When most of your friends have dates, you tend to be the odd one out; the one who goes back to sit at the table because it feels better than awkwardly standing, hoping that somebody will talk to you, or ask you to dance. That night, I finally decided that I might have a case, if even a small one, of depression. It was time that I stopped living that way and finally make some progress in doing good for my own life. My first thought was to see a therapist, so I told my dad and he got me one. A very nice woman with a lovely smile. I believe that if the given circumstances had not been the case, that being that she was paid to talk to me, we may have been friends. That is, if there had ever been a time when I would have met her.

I went to her until that following spring, because my condition consists of something called SAD -- Seasonal Apprehension Disorder -- so it only occurs in the winter. During that spring, summer, and then autumn, I dreaded the time when my depression would return. I realize my condition wasn't even serious or even the worse case, but was still a heavy burden to carry. For someone like me, who is mentally incapable of  showing malice towards anyone, the feeling was heightened.

But that was last year.

This year, my schedule has proven to be my salvation. I have recently taken part in the play The Laramie Project, and although the subject is quite serious, I must say that I am enjoying myself. I have finally met these people that my brother treats as family, although there are a few that seriously creep me out. In this past week, I have come to curse the schedule and how it keeps me at school until slightly past my usual dinner time, leaving me very little time for sleep and talking to my friends. But now I realize how much it helps me. The Snowball Dance is approaching once more, and I have no doubts as to my emotions. The storm has been ridden out, and the sunny skies await.

No comments:

Post a Comment