Thursday, September 15, 2011

In my physics class, I have been assigned a project that will be due next Friday (not tomorrow, but the one after that). I have to build a mousetrap car that will travel at least 10 feet. We get extra points if we can attach a recording device onto it. Thus far, I have been very confused about what I could possibly do that wouldn't involve me buying everything from a hardware store. We obviously have to guy the mousetraps, but other than that, I had no clue. If we use a rat trap, we get an automatic 0 because my teacher doesn't want us breaking our feet or killing ourselves.

Recently, I was talking to my cousin, who is 18 and is currently going to UMass in Amherst. He found a website that made a mousetrap car out of common desk items, such as pens, string, caps from soda cans, and CD's. And now that I have a direction to head in with this project, I am finding it to be a lot more interesting and fun.

Every other day at my high school, I end the day with art class. My teacher is very nice. I feel that she is the best art teacher that I have had. Some people think that when they get her to bend the assignment requirements a little, that they are taking advantage and have somehow tricked her, but really, she's being an artist. When you draw something, you don't think about all the rules that you will have to complete or the due date, you just go for it. And that's what I plan to do for a Christmas present to my grandparents. I was thinking that I could take a nice picture of their cat Abby and their dog Nellie and make a portrait of them. I have a few books on watercolor pencils and colored pencils, and even watercolor books. I think it will be a color pencil drawing, since I will have more control with them. Perhaps I can use some water on the eyes for some added texture and depth. If I can, I will frame it and give it to them. I figure that I will have enough time to finish by Christmas, so it will be perfect! Plus, it may get me some attention as an artist. I definitely want to do it before the semester ends, so I can ask my art teacher for any help that I need. She may even let me work on it a bit in class (or not, I'm not sure how many projects we will have to get done). She mentioned to me that she has a lot of books on different styles of art, and I can borrow a few. I am really excited about all this. Now I just have to tell my dad so he can help me get the supplies I need. I already have the perfect picture of Nellie if I can just print it off my old phone, all I need is a good picture of Abby. I'm sure I'll find it.

I still have some homework to do, so I'd better get working!

No comments:

Post a Comment