Saturday, October 1, 2011

The Knowledge May Crush You

In my civics class, my teacher keeps stressing about how important it is to watch the news so we can know what is going on in the world. I have to disagree. I mean, it might be nice to know some things for some circumstances, although I can't think of any off the top of my head. But I just don't see why we need to know everything about the world. If you pay attention to the news, you need a positive attitude, or the knowledge will crush you. It's amazing how much we are like crabs.

Allow me to explain.

When fishermen catch crabs, they put them in a container. They don't need to put a lid on. You see, if one crab were to climb up the side to get out, another crab would come over and pull it back down as if to say "You're not going anywhere! You have to stick with us!"
That's something that some people can do to others. Perhaps they are not aware of it, I can't really be sure. I have just felt it going on around me; people pulling others down to their level.

I think people inflict it to begin with when they are feeling negative. It doesn't make them feel good to see others who are doing well, so they pull them down. I have a couple examples of human-crab behavior that happened in my own life.

A few times this school year, we have been asked to fill out these forms asking us if we have thought about college and sometimes just asking for information about us, just for our guidance counselors to know. There was one column on this one particular sheet that asked for our parents' information (emails, phone numbers, etc.). I had already filled out my dad's information and came to my mom's. I wrote down her name. Under "phone number," I wrote down the house number, since she was never one to answer her cell phone or even understand how to turn it on anyway.

Then I paused.

The next line said "email address." I knew my mom's email, but I couldn't decide whether or not to put it down. After much debate, I finally just put it down. Then, at the bottom, I wrote a quick note saying that nobody should send anything to that email, since it was technically no longer valid. I thought nothing of it.

Until a few days later.

I was in my room, reading my book, when my dad entered. He asked if I remembered the day that my guidance counselor had us fill out these forms. When I said yes, he said something like, "Your guidance counselor emailed me, telling me that you wrote out Mom's email." I told him about my whole hesitation over that, and the note I had written at the bottom, and he said that was what he had suspected. Well, apparently, my counselor was worried that I had forgotten about mom, or had maybe never realized it in the first place.

My only thought then was how strange it was that my guidance counselor thought I was going insane, which was kinda funny to me. Then I thought about it some more. What if I really had truly believed that my mom was just sitting in my living room? What would she do? Would she try to talk me out of it and tell me it was wrong? What would make it so wrong? It just struck me as odd that some people can see that what others believe is wrong and try to change them for that. I dunno, it just seems like people should be a bit more accepting, now that we have all these individual rights. By the way, at this point, I'm just rambling. It's a bit hard to keep my train of thought with my grandparents, dad, and brother in the same room watching my brother play Grand Theft Auto on our Xbox 360 (sponsor!), so I am not completely sure what I have been typing. I can only hope that it was at least somewhat related.

So, since I don't really want to keep writing/typing, I shall log off now.

Here's me, logging off.

No comments:

Post a Comment