Saturday, October 29, 2011

Walking In a Winter Wonderland

You may not be able to believe this--unless you live near me--but it is snowing outside! That's right, that's no typo, I do mean SNOWING!! It's exciting, but at the same time worrisome, considering that it is the weekend before Halloween. I was really looking forward to trick-or-treating. I got the feeling that this would be the last year I got to walk around and ask for free candy before I got too old. How did that even get started?

I know that Halloween was a day that originally meant that the spirits would come out, so people would dress up as ghosts to scare them off. I'm not sure how the candy got involved. Perhaps they had festivals or something, I don't know for sure.

My friend Sara and her family put up grand decorations for Halloween. The last year I was there, there was a fog machine setup, some crazy strobe lights, and a projection that said "Happy Halloween" and showed some slide shows. It was really cool. I have plans to go over her house along with two other friends, Anna and Evelyn. We were then thinking what we could do if it was raining, or if the snow was too thick, and we decided to go to my other friend, Anna's house and just party it up over there. The costumes would still be worn of course. My brother had plans to just to to a party, but it turns out that they will be doing some trick-or-treating too apparently.

Halloween this year will land on a Monday unfortunately, which means we will be waking up early and going to bed late. Not the best combination. I don't really care, since I'm sure I will have a blast. Before all the snow started falling, I decided that whether or not the storm did end up arriving, I would just enjoy whatever happened. Knowing that we have a Halloween backup plan helps too. It feels so much better to sit back and accept what happens rather than push against something that ends up happening anyway. I know the harder you push against something, the more you are bringing it to your attention, and therefore allowing it to be created. The same goes for you wanting something. The more you want and picture yourself with the success that comes with the desire, the faster it will come. We are never content, and we are not meant to be. That's most of the fun. Always wanting and desiring, and then relishing in the joy when we feel content enough to just drift off down the lake.

I should really explain that metaphor.

Imagine that you are rowing in a boat. It's just you and the quiet lake. You are rowing against the current, harder, and your progress is really slow. Then, maybe out of exhaustion or just curiosity, you let go of the oars, lay back, and softly drift down the current. It feels nicer, easier. It feels good, and you are content, with no plans to meet and no reason to begin going against the current again.

I want you to go over that paragraph, and just sit back and imagine the scenario. Imagine how relaxed you should feel when you finally let go of the oars. Feels good, doesn't it?

Yep, that's how I felt when I was feeling stressed and my mom told me that story. I felt wonderful, like there was nothing that I needed to do. I could just sit back and be exactly where I needed to be. That's what life is like. You are always right where you need to be based on where you want to go. The timing couldn't be more perfect.

I shall leave you with that wonderful picture until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment