Around 5:00 pm, the eighth grade students all met in the front of the school to wait for the buses that would bring us to The Odyssey (which was the name of the boat). The day was full of the sun shining and a comfortable warmth in the air. There is a picture of me standing with my brother Taylor and two of my friends, Jessica and Nadia. It's my new facebook profile picture now! I will put it on here if I can figure out how.
Hey, look! I successfully put a picture on here just by clicking some random buttons! I can't believe it worked! So anyway, from left to right it goes: Taylor, Nadia, Me (Katie), and Jessica.
That night, I had a tremendous amount of fun! I was all the great people I have met over the years, and even over this past year. Thinking back on the dance makes me reflect on my entire year as an 8th grader. Sure, there were some rough patches. In my case, a few rough patches and one great big one, but the point still stands.
But, I digress, you don't want to hear about me talk about all the sad things in my 8th grade year, do you? That was rhetorical. It doesn't matter whether or not you wanna hear them. I don't wanna reflect on them, so you won't.
The Odyssey was a great boat. The teachers made it sound smaller than it actually was. We walked in to a nicely decorated room with a small wooden dance floor in the middle of the carpet. The DJ was behind a nice little booth where he could easily interact with everyone else. There was a bar that served Sprite, Coke, and Shirley Temples. The food was absolutely splendid! What more could you ask for?
As everyone knows, or at least should know, I absolutely LOVE food!!!! There is never a moment in my life when I cannot eat. Y'know, unless I'm already full. I'm actually thinking of becoming a chef. I'm not sure what kind just yet. My cousin (second cousin, cousin once removed, whatever) works as a private chef and a caterer. I know that as fun as catering seems, it would not be the job for me. I want to be able to spend my nights and weekends sleeping or reading or just spending it doing whatever I want! I wouldn't be able to do that if I had to serve parties all the time. Being a private chef would be so much fun! The only downside that I can see is that I wouldn't be able to work with anyone in the same field. Being a private chef involves going to people's houses and making future meals for them that they can easily just reheat and put on the table in seconds. It's really only a one person job. I could be wrong, afterall, I did only shadow for one day. I will just have to wait and see.
Oh! Writing about my future job just gave me so many ideas to write about! You may never get to hear about the dance! I would love to tell you, but this stuff just has to be said first.
In the future, I would love to work in a small job in the food industry before making any career moves. I thought that working at a place like Panera Bread would be extrordinary! There aren't really any waiters or waitresses there, so I don't really know what I would do, but I'm sure the great Universe will line it up for me somehow. All I have to do is think of how wonderful it would be to work in a place like that, where there is always food cooking, and you can walk in to the fresh smell of baking bread. There are delicious goodies all around you, and I could probably eat there whenever I like, using my employee discount of course. Oh Universe, I would like that very much. Line it up for me, won't you?
Now! Back to the dance!
In the beginning, nobody really moved at all. We just sat at our tables and drank our drinks. Finally, a song by the name of Friday came on the speakers. It had been requested by Andrew Nugent. You see, everyone really detests that song, since it consists of really, well, stupid lyrics and one note that just keeps being repeated. The artist, although the name escapes me, got a recording contract as a birthday present, and somehow, that was the only song that she could come up with. It seems to me that the song is so bad, you can't help liking it, if that makes any sense at all. It doesn't? Well, that's your loss, because I can't make sense of it either.
So anyway, Nugent goes up to the dance floor and does this little dance. It was hilarious. He is a lot like the seniors that we have at our school. His humor is a lot better than the jokes that a lot of the kids put out at our age. More mature, you could say. Yes, Shannon, if you are reading this, I am in fact talking about your brother (duh, I said "Nugent"). If you are, I would just like to say one thing: Yay!!! You read my blog!!!! That is all.
After that song was over, more people got onto the dance floor until the small little platform was filled. I even did a little dancing. I was already wiped out when I looked outside and realized that we hadn't even started moving yet. I decided to get another Shirley Temple (man, those are good), and sit down for a little while. My friend Anna sat down with me. The DJ made a few announcements about a sign up for karaoke. My friend had signed up for a song, and it sounded like a lot of fun. After thinking it through for a few seconds, I decided to sign up. I also got Anna to sign up too, although I forget what song she sang. I sang My Immortal by Evanescense. It is a pretty advanced song to sing that involves using a lot of voice. I couldn't really hear myself, so I couldn't tell how I did exactly, but many people came up to me to tell me how great my singing was, so I bet it sounded fine. Anna sounded great! She really did! I'm not just saying that since she has access to my blog, she really sounded great! I'm so glad that she got up there and sang, even though she was as nervous as I was, if not more.
I have this one teacher, Mr. Kelley, who is my history teacher. Everyone that knows him can say that he has a comfort zone, and clearly likes to stay in it. He didn't do any dancing as far as I could see. The only time he did any movement other than walking was when "I've Got a Feeling" by the Blackeyed Peas came on and us students surrounded him. A few grabbed his arms and made him fist pump. That was as far out of his comfort zone as he got that night. We asked him to do some karaoke, and instead, he went out on the deck to get away from the pestering. All the same, I hope he had fun. He lives close to the Boston Harbor, so he walked back to the train stationa and went home from there when the night was over. On the upcoming Monday, he told us that when he was at the train station, some guy came hobbling out of a bar and grabbed his tie. The guy said with slurred speech, "Nice tie, can I have it?" Mr. Kelley said something along the lines of "No, get away from me." He told us that the guy looked so sad that he almost gave him the tie. The man clumsily walked away. The way Mr. Kelley told it, we all cracked up. He has changed a lot over the course of the year. I could tell that he was nervous about teaching us. It's his first year teaching at Hudson. He had no idea how crazy we could all be. As the days turned into weeks, which then turned into months, Mr. Kelley became more comfortable with all of us. My friend Amanda began to record all the funny things that Mr. Kelley has said. We call them "Kelley Quotes." We have told him about it, so he knows exactly what we are doing.
Congradulations if you have read up to this point. You are truly interested in what I have to say, and for that, I am grateful. But I'm not done talking yet!
Tonight, on June 17, 2011, The middle school that I went to is having their Semi Dance. I don't know why it's called a Semi, but it is. I have a friend named Alyssa who is one year younger than me. Either that, or she stayed back for one year, I'm not really sure which. Either way, she is currently in 7th grade. I implored her that she go to her dance regardless of whether or not anyone asks her. It's always nice to be asked, but she should have a good time either way. I'm not sure whether or not she took my advice. I sure hope she did. I just know that she is going to have such a fun time. I never got asked to either one of my school dances, but I still went and had a blast!
As much as I didn't believe it at first, I am going to miss 8th grade.
No comments:
Post a Comment