Monday, July 9, 2012

Traditional Vienna

Today was Day 1 of my cooking class Culinary Underground. If you check out their website, you will see a picture of the kitchen that they worked in. This week is a tour of Italy and the dishes they traditionally cook there. Today was Venice. The very first thing that they taught us was how to dice up an onion. Now I know which part of the onion releases the juices that make you cry. Along with that, I know how to mince some garlic and make it into a paste, in case I want to make garlic bread at some point. Then we moved on to making a crostata, which is basically a tart. Overall, we made cristini, some risotto, and some other things. They all have Italian names, so I forgot some of them.  It was so much fun!

When I cook, I feel like I really know what I'm doing. Even though I had never made any of these recipes in my life, I felt like I knew what it would end up looking like. If they asked me to get something up to a simmer, then I would know exactly what that looked like. Maybe it comes from my history of watching cooking shows and seeing how relaxed they all are when they are in the kitchen.

So this morning I was reading an email form my good friend Sue, and I found out that my mom had worked in her aunt's restaurant for a part of her life. This is something that I had never known before. If I'd known, it would have been a great thing to talk about, and I would have felt more confident becoming a chef. Then she could tell me firsthand what it was really like.

Still, these classes are exciting me for the future. I know now that, with my current desires, being a chef would be perfect for me.

Tomorrow's class is Florence!

No comments:

Post a Comment