Today, July 5th, I hosted my birthday party. I invited five close friends, alas only four could attend, and we all traveled to this place called Sky Zone. I mentioned it previously along with a picture of one of the sections. The actual place is slightly smaller than it would suggest, but it was still pretty cool. I had been under the impression that this place would literally be a room filled completely with trampolines. However, it was more like there were different stations where there were trampolines. Ah, well, it's hard to describe. The good news is, it was still very fun.
I have never been one to make a big deal of Independence Day. This year was no different. I truly applaud that it was the day the Declaration of Independence was signed, marking our true separation from the British. I have always wondered how American accents were developed if we all derive from Britain? For that matter, how do any accents get formed? Did somebody just decide to start talking a bit differently and form words in a different way, or did it just come with the different languages that were spoken? I've never known why, but I don't feel a big sense of nationality. Perhaps that is because the social media makes it seem as though being a true American means that you are an obese capitalist that wants nothing more than more money; as much money and greasy food that you can get your hands on. While that might happen to be someone's life, it isn't mine. I would like to explore all the possibilities that our nation has to offer: the education system, the landscape of different areas, and basically how much we differ from other places. My interests have to do with the different cultures and foods. It's so inspiring to see how different people live based on the circumstances that they were raised in. How did our tastes develop to the way they are now? Back in the past when tools were in the making, people just ate whatever would present itself to them. No vegetarians back then! Well, I really can't say that for certain. Perhaps there were the few that would stick to the vegetation of the land and let the others devour the meat.
I've really lost my point. I know I was going to say something about yesterday, but for the moment I can't quite...
Oh yes! Now I remember!
Yesterday evening, I was done thinking about the 4th of July and had moved on to my party. I had lost of ideas and expectations for how it would go. I was hopped up on excitement. So much so that I awoke this morning at 8:30 AM. We drove home from my grandparents house, where we had spent the day swimming in their pool. My dad then drove us to the supermarket because I had an idea for making smoothies while we sat and waited for guests to arrive. By now, my friends should honestly expect me to make some food for them, purely because I love cooking and I would like it to be known. We finished shopping just as the store closed. There were fireworks being set off in the distance on either side of us, but that is now what caught our eyes on the drive out of the parking lot. It was the lightning and thunder bursting forth from the clouds above. My dad drove to a little clearing by an Intel building and we sat and watched it while we listened to hits from the 1940s on our SIRIUS radio. It was pretty awesome. Lightning is really nature's fireworks. I must say I prefer it. With lightning, you can feel a light sense of danger, because you know that within that burst of light, there is a storm. And I love storms.
Now, I'm not usually the sentimental type -- oh, wait, yes I am! I would like to say that I loved that night because it was a moment that I could spend with my dad. Ever since Mom's...y'know, I have been edging a little more for the attention of my dad. I noticed it especially during the tennis season. When I was out playing a match, I would look out into the parking lot to see if my dad had arrived to watch me play. Usually, his working hours made it so that by the time he came, my match was long over. Sometimes just barely over. I feel it is a natural state to put myself into. After all, it makes perfect sense that I would move closer towards the parent remaining physical. I just thought I would point it out.
Overall, I have begun to look at people as if they would die. Not as if they were sick, but just wondering how I wish I had spent the moment if I knew that they would die. I have mostly considered it with my pets and relatives. The same would go for my friends. While I have no regrets, it is fair to say that if I were to go back to the past with my current knowledge, things would be done differently.
No comments:
Post a Comment